Chimney Safety Tips for Hermantown?
SERVPRO® of Aitkin, Carlton & West St. Louis Counties offers these tips from Federal Emergency Management Agency for preventing creosote buildup that can cause chimney fires:
Limited air supply and unseasoned wood encourage the buildup of creosote. To avoid that buildup,
do not restrict the air supply by:
- Closing the glass doors
- Not opening the damper wide enough
- The longer the smoke is in the flue, the more likely it is that creosote will form
- By closing down the stove damper or air inlets on a wood stove too soon or too much
- Do not burn unseasoned wood
- In the case of wood stoves, overloading the firebox with wood in an attempt to get a longer burn time also contributes to creosote buildup
Fireplace and Woodstove Safety
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out
- Do not burn paper in your fireplace or woodstove
- Put ashes in a metal container with a lid, outside, at least three feet from your home
- Put the fire out before you go to sleep or leave your home
Hermantown residents and businesses can rely on SERVPRO® of Aitkin, Carlton & West St. Louis Counties to retore fire damage, “Like it never even happened.” Call us today at 218-879-6141.
Franchises are independently owned and operated.